The fishery is situated in the northern region of China's Jiangsu province, and covers an area of 20,000 hectares along the river and wetland system of the Doulong River. An Action Plan has been developed to identify what improvements are required for the fishery to meet the MSC standard over the next three to five years.
It is a small-scale artisanal fishery, supporting the livelihoods of over 550 local full-time and part-time fishermen and their families in the Dafeng area. In the long run, this FIP and the MSC certification not only will ensure the sustainability of the fishery, but also secure the livelihoods of these artisanal fishermen.
The fishery is situated in the northern region of China's Jiangsu province, and covers an area of 20,000 hectares along the river and wetland system of the Doulong River.
By 2021, this FIP aims to achieve all of the following objectives:
- To improve capacity building to provide training and regional focus.
- To demonstrate consistent management at the fishery level with full traceability from ‘pond to plate.’
- To minimise the risk of overfishing by stock management and facilitate biomass recovery through stock monitoring and evaluation.
- To minimise negative environmental impacts.
- To meet the requirements of the Marine Stewardship Council Certification Standards.
FIP at a Glance