The Peruvian hake (Merluccius gayi peruanus) FIP is being implemented by 11 companies in the Peruvian fishing sector, with CeDePesca’s technical support. This FIP addresses the bottom-trawl industrial fishery that operates off of northern Peru.
The port of Paita accounts for almost all Peruvian landings, giving this fishery considerable socio-economic importance for that community. There is also an artisanal hake fishery in Peru (operating mainly with gillnets) that represents around 20% of total landings in recent years. On the other hand, part of the stock straddles between Peruvian and Ecuadorian waters, and it should be noted that Ecuador initiated a trawling fishery for hake in 2013, although its landings are currently not significant in comparison with Peruvian landings.
The Peruvian hake (Merluccius gayi peruanus) FIP is being implemented by 11 companies in the Peruvian fishing sector, with CeDePesca’s technical support. This FIP addresses the bottom-trawl industrial fishery that operates off of northern
The Peruvian hake FIP is working towards achieving a certifiable status against the MSC standard by June 2022. To this end, the following specific objectives being pursued are:
- [COMPLETE] Adopt a target reference point.
- [NEW] Obtain the rationale that underpins the biological reference points.
- [COMPLETE] Increase the transparency of the harvest strategy.
- [ONGOING] Achieve regular external peer review of the stock assessment methodology.
- [COMPLETE] Achieve the implementation of an official mechanism for monitoring the performance of the management system.
- [COMPLETE] Include relevant information from the Ecuadorian fishery into the harvest strategy and the stock assessments.
- [PARTIALLY COMPLETE] Achieve regular exchanges between Ecuador and Peru regarding the Peruvian hake fisheries.
- [ONGOING] Close information gaps related to the impact of the fishery on other ecosystem components, and adopt mitigation measures, if necessary.
- [PARTIALLY COMPLETE] Adopt explicit long-term goals related to the stock status and the impacts of the fishery on the ecosystem.
- [PARTIALLY COMPLETE] Find solutions to minimize illegal and unreported fishing.