Ecuadorian fishing firms created TUNACONS in July 2016 as a joint effort to promote a Fisheries Improvement Project (FIP) for purse-seine tuna fisheries. This effort will build a process to achieve Marine Stewardship Council Standard (MSC) certification. Meeting the MSC Standard is widely accepted in global markets with the acknowledgement that a certified fishery’s products come from a sustainable production model.
TUNACONS involves 45 Purse Seine vessels, that represent 17% of the fleet operating in the area. The FIP is managed by the Tuna Conservation Group (TUNACONS) together with WWF Ecuador and with the support of the Ecuadorian Ministry of aquaculture and fishing, INP National Fishery Institute and EPESPO Fishery School of the EPO
- NEGOCIOS INDUSTRIALES REAL NIRSA S.A.
- GRUPO JADRAN
Ecuadorian fishing firms created TUNACONS in July 2016 as a joint effort
By 2020, this FIP aims to:
- Develop sustainable fish stocks guidelines during our certification process
- Achieve an effective management for the fishery
- Minimize environmental impacts from our vessels
- Achieve MSC certification
FIP at a Glance